In 2017, the Housing Fair will be held in the stunning scenery of the shores of Lake Saimaa, only three kilometres south from the city centre. The Housing Fair will be open from 14 July to 13 August every day from 10:00 to 18:00 for the whole month. The fair will have extended opening hours until 22:00 on 20 July, 27 July and 3 August.
The idea that sparked the construction of the residential area in Kirkonvarkaus, Mikkeli, was to take advantage of Lake Saimaa and combine the natural values and all-year exercise opportunities offered by the area into a well-functioning whole. The trees offer protection and greenery, while the area planning that supports a pleasant environment ensures that the open waters of Lake Saimaa can be seen from nearly every plot. The vegetation at the shore is preserved to protect the moor frogs, and as many trees as possible are left in place for the flying squirrels. This plays a part in creating a pleasant environment and guarantees that there are trees in the residential area. The theme of the Housing Fair in Mikkeli is the effect of housing on the well-being of people.
We present 31 amazing sites for the fair visitors!
- 29 single-family houses
- a semi-detached house, in which 1 flat is presented to the fair visitors (site 16)
- 2 terraced houses, in which 2 flats are presented to the fair visitors (site 25)
- The Huldanranta campfire site on the shores of Lake Saimaa
- 5 different park areas
- Outdoor gym for adults (in the Nordenstreng Park)
- Children’s playground with climbing frames, two slides, swings and sandpits
- 2 large works of art (in the fair harbour and the Heinzenpuisto Park)
- A Finland 100 centenary year site (fair site 25)
- The Made in Saimaa Design shop showcases local expertise (site 25)
The official theme of 2017 is The effect of housing on the well-being of people. President of the Republic Sauli Niinistö is the patron of the Housing Fair.
We focus on the subject during the fair via four different theme weeks, when the fair offers programme and content related to the theme:
- Well-being week, 17–23 July
- Hobby week, 24–30 July
- Future week, 31 July – 6 August
- Equality week, 7–13 August